Rob Richardson vs DAMM round one
*Rob “I’m in the Corps” Richardson a total Johns groupie seems to be excited about the defiling of his favorite characters so I will fire the first volley in good natured always respectful debate between friends. No opinion is more valid than the other just different, so Gren Lantern boy take this!
1The complete Toddler Justice League with horrid Bat and Cyborg costumes included.
I can hear the screaming from comic shops and creators from here, “Give it a Chance, Its Geoff Johns after all and he’s awesome. Just like you bloggers to make up your mind before you even read it.” Hey I have spent more money on comics than food in my 37 years of reading comics so ummm pound sand. I am qualified to judge NOW.
Now, let’s talk about how we know this sucks BEFORE we read this tripe.
1. Action, Batman, Detective and Wonder Woman the longest running comics full of nostalgia and history – basically their definitions – are starting over at # 1.
Nothing but ego and gimmick can explain this lack of respect for the creators who came before. The real reason – Creators get to ”INVENT” icons according to their “visions” instead of what the character demands. In the above release it states new origins “rooted in the originals” if they had any clue what “rooted” and “original” meant we wouldn’t be here in the first place. Does anyone remember Zero Hour? They tried renumbering then too. Know what happened a few years later they just picked up the old numbers where they would have been. This left huge gaps in numbering. Like it needed to be any more confusing.
2. Geoff Johns can’t write them all.
Frankly, Geoff Johns is overexposed and believes his own press about being the “be all end all” of comic writers. I have seen this before from one of my favorite editors Bob Harras before with Scott Lobdell. Lobdell was writing everything X-men and at some point was wearing thin. I still resent the Onslaught storyline getting in the way of the Trial of Gambit, which Lobdell couldn’t finish. This overexposure got Harras replaced and Lobdell drummed out of comics. At least for a while. Guess who is rumored to get a writing gig on a major character after the reboot? Lobdell. What is the definition of insanity? If you look, that’s exactly when Marvel imploded. Guess what they did? They created the Ultimate line to get new readers. Yep, then they fixed the regular Marvel U the hard way. Now Ultimate Universe sucks (see a trend?) and The regular Marvel U has had groundbreaking storytelling (Civil War/Initiative) where they stayed true to the characters and still told a Quake of a tale. Guess how they fixed the regular U? Good storytelling from new talent. Bendis. Millar. Fraction. Van Scriver. Even Kevin Smith to Daredevil which was unheard of.
3. In the release it says “over 50 new costumes!!”
On classic DC icons too you can bet and would you look at Toddler Justice League above and see Wonder Woman (ugh). If I have to explain why THIS is a bad idea (new costume= new origin and no story) then you are a newbie. New costume is comic speak for gimmick with no substance. In fact it did not even work for the black Spider-Man costume twice. Is anyone but me paying attention?
4. Hundreds of characters including Blue Devil and GCSirens won’t continue and in Devils case never existed, despite my physical proof.
5. The creators and their “vision over character” approach ARE the problem but it’s not all their fault. DC drives the bus and forces wacky lame ideas out of brilliant creators to fit their editorial profiteering. But there is a deeper problem. Retreads. I am sorry but can’t Grant Morrison take a vacation? Johns too. Recharge. Simmer a story and as the rock stars you are, come back when you got something. R.I.P. was desperate and weak, Final Crisis a real disaster and Johns has reboots, movies and every single title in the DCU waiting to be penned by him. They are burning out. Creativity is not an assembly line it’s inspired. Here is my point. LET SOME NEW TALENT INTO YOUR POOL! It’s how you got Johns in the first place. Then let them do what Johns did but you have to set them free. I admit what makes Johns awesome IS his love of character cores but he has become the very authority figure he bucked on entrance. Murmur. Great idea. New characters! I wrote last time about creators being pushed away by chokeholds. DC if you really want to take a risk, take it on a non-established writer/artist team that has never had a shot but is obvious talent. Open your submissions and hire someone qualified to read them not send them back unread marked “unsolicited’.
I was really enjoying Flashpoint as an Elseworlds tale but will stop and buy Ed Brubaker’s Criminal with that money and my Wonder Woman money goes to Avengers Academy. I think you can see that if DC wants to spit in my face after shoving manure in it and crying because I don’t like it then I will get the entire Bloody Pulp library instead of Batman Inc.(ugh) which I was still buying, cause they were gonna fix it. “Trust Us”
My blog: http://dammswordworld.wordpress.com/ – Original fiction from Rob Richardson and DAMM
My facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MisterSinister777
On Twitter @777damm